Call for nominations of the CSIM Awards sub-committee for its 2021 edition.
Communication Systems Integration and Modelling (CSIM) Technical Committee delivers Conference Best Paper Award and a Best Paper Award annually. The former is awarded to a conference paper (the paper has to be published in a ComSoc-sponsored conference but must not be ICC or Globecom CQRM symposiums) whereas the latter is awarded to an article in a ComSoc journal. In the evaluation of the awards, the committee considers originality, technical relevance to CSIM TC scope, quality and timeliness for each nominated paper. Eligibility period: The paper should be published between 1 January 2020 and the nomination deadline. Accepted papers (that are not published yet) are not eligible.
Please submit the nomination package to the sub-committee chair Dr. Burak Kantarci (Email: Burak.Kantarci@uottawa.ca) by November 1, 2021. Self-nomination is accepted. The nomination package should include: 1) Published paper from IEEExplore; 2) Cover letter discussing its alignment with CSIM scope; 3) certificate of publication (Screenshot from IEEExplore or email from email@example.com).
We look forward to receiving your nominations.
CSIM Award Sub-committee members:
Burak Kantarci (TC past chair)
Nelson Fonseca (TC past chair)
Fabrizio Granelli (TC past chair)
Damla Turgut (current TC DL)
Luca Foschini (TC secretary)
Awards in 2021
Best Journal Paper Award:
- Kang, Z. Xiong, D. Niyato, Y. Zou, Y. Zhang and M. Guizani, “Reliable Federated Learning for Mobile Networks,” in IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 72-80, April 2020
- Chergui and C. Verikoukis, “Offline SLA-Constrained Deep Learning for 5G Networks Reliable and Dynamic End-to-End Slicing,” in IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 350-360, Feb. 2020
- N. Weerasinghe, V. Casares-Giner, I. A. M. Balapuwaduge and F. Y. Li, “Priority Enabled Grant-Free Access With Dynamic Slot Allocation for Heterogeneous mMTC Traffic in 5G NR Networks,” in IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 3192-3206, May 2021
Evaluation committee for these awards: Burak Kantarci (chair), Nelson Fonseca, Fabrizio Granelli, Damla Turgut, Luca Foschini
Awards in 2020
Best Paper Award
- Li, K. Ota and M. Dong, “LS-SDV: Virtual Network Management in Large-Scale Software-Defined IoT,” in IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 1783-1793, Aug. 2019, doi: 10.1109/JSAC.2019.2927099.
Best Conference Awards shared between :
- Bega, M. Gramaglia, M. Fiore, A. Banchs and X. Costa-Perez, “DeepCog: Cognitive Network Management in Sliced 5G Networks with Deep Learning,” IEEE INFOCOM 2019 – IEEE Conference on Computer Communications, Paris, France, 2019, pp. 280-288, doi: 10.1109/INFOCOM.2019.8737488.
- Vamvakas, E. E. Tsiropoulou and S. Papavassiliou, “Dynamic Spectrum Management in 5G Wireless Networks: A Real-Life Modeling Approach,” IEEE INFOCOM 2019 – IEEE Conference on Computer Communications, Paris, France, 2019, pp. 2134-2142, doi: 10.1109/INFOCOM.2019.8737443.
Evaluation committee for these awards: Nelson Fonseca (chair) Periklis Chatzimisios; Michael Devetsikiotis; Ferran Adelantado i Freixer; Fabrizio Granelli; Toktam Mahmoodi; Shahid Mumtaz ; Christos Verikoukis
Awards in 2019
Best Paper Awards:
Marco Mezzavilla, Menglei Zhang, Michele Polese, Russell Ford, Sourjya Dutta, Sundeep Rangan, and Michele Zorzi, “End-to-End Simulation of 5G mmWave Networks,” IEEE COMMUNICATIONS SURVEYS & TUTORIALS, VOL. 20, NO. 3, THIRD QUARTER 2018, pp.2237–2263
Zhenyu Zhou, Junhao Feng, Bo Gu, Bo Ai, Shahid Mumtaz, Jonathan Rodriguez and Mohsen Guizani, “When Mobile Crowd Sensing Meets UAV: Energy-Efficient Task Assignment
and Route Planning” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol 66 no 11, November 2018, pp.5526-5538
Best Conference Paper:
Paolo Castagno, Vincenzo Mancuso, Matteo Sereno, Marco Ajmone Marsan, “A Simple Model of MTC in Smart Factories,” IEEE Infocom April 2018, pp. 2591-2599
Evaluation committee for these awards: Nelson Fonseca (chair), Jemin Lee, Luca Foschini, Vangelis Angelakis, Fabrizio Granelli
Awards in 2018
Best Paper Awards:
Pietro Marchetta, Valerio Persico, Giuseppe Aceto, Alessio Botta, Antonio Pescapè “Measuring Networks Using IP Options” IEEE Network, vol 31 issue 3, 2017
Haijun Zhang, Site Huang, Chunxiao Jiang, Keping Long, Victor C.M. Leung, and H. Vincent Poor
“Energy Efficient User Association and Power Allocation in Millimeter Wave Based Ultra Dense Networks with Energy Harvesting Base Stations”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol 35 issue 9, 2017
Best Conference Paper:
Gaolei Li, Mianxiong Dong, Kaoru Ota, Jun Wu, Jianhua Li, Tianpeng Ye, “Towards QoE Named Content-Centric Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks with Mobile Sinks,” IEEE International Conference on Communications 2017
Evaluation committee for these awards: Nelson Fonseca (chair), Anteneh Atumo, Rizwan Asghar, Charalompos Skianis, Angelos Antonopoulos
Awards in 2017
Best Papers Award
Al-Anbagi, M. Erol-Kantarci, H. T. Mouftah “A Survey on Cross-layer Quality of Service Approaches in WSNs for Delay and Reliability Aware Applications” published in IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials
- Khan, M. H. Rehmani, and M. Reisslein “Cognitive Radio for Smart Grids: Survey of Architectures, Spectrum Sensing Mechanisms, and Networking Protocols” published in IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials
Awards in 2016
Best Paper Award
A.Svigeij, R.Sernec, K.Alic “Network traffic modeling for load prediction: a user-centric approach” published in IEEE Networks Magazine
Distinguished Service Award
Prof. Nelson L.S. da Fonseca, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Brasil